HDF espouses a holistic model we work with a mixture of local, national and international grantees to achieve individual and societal change providing levels of funding appropriate to the context.
We support organisations that are rooted in the context recognising that these are best placed to work with communities and are also less vulnerable to turnover and trending. We support organisations that are committed, passionate, effective and efficient; organisations that have a track record and a minimum standard of governance. In selected instances, we support organisations that show promise but have capacity gaps.
The organisations that we support are doing work that:
- is innovative and creative, at the leading edge of social change
- is rooted in communities and involves them each step of the way
- takes a holistic and long-term approach
- builds the strength of communities and organisations to advocate for change
- challenges policies or institutions that perpetuate injustice
- collaborates with, but does not replace, government structures and services
- makes a measurable, sustainable difference (recognising that this takes time)
As HDF supports a large number of major projects, further requests for funding will not be accepted at the moment.
HDF does not provide grants to individuals.